Dwarf Japanese Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Deborah LaFontaine, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Deborah LaFontaine

Deborah LaFontaine Member

Hello Maple people!

I have just made a move from Atlanta, GA to the shores of Lake Erie, Ontario. I am having difficulty finding a dwarf, or miniature Japanese Maple. While I will take either the green or crimson colour, I am particularly interested in the crimson variety.

Does anyone have a good source where there is a good selection. There are very few here to be found.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Active Member

Give a call to Vineland Nursery, in Beamsville, ONT. 905-562-4836. Good luck! Isn't it a challenge changing hardiness zones, losing favorite shopping spots and all?
    Susan

3. Frank Byles

Frank Byles Member Maple Society

Dwarves

Try http://www.mapletrees.net for a large selection of what you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2003
  4. they are very abundant in pa. my question is when can I trim mine. It is extremely full right now, and I would like to cut it back a bit, but my husband says I have to wait until fall. Is he right?

5. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

You can really trim any time of the year. There are no hard and fast rules about it and nothing's set in stone. I'm finding I prefer winter when the trees are dormant. You can see the form better and don't have to wrestle with or accidently cut any leaves or new branches that you want to keep. I start with basic maintenence pruning...pruning off dead and crossing branches. After that I'll turn the tree around (all mine are in containers) to get an idea of what I *feel* doesn't belong and go from there.

Layne