Identification: Dusty 'Crepe'

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Aug 24, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

If anyone can help me with this one........
    NE Kansas...on rotted wood. Primarily Oak, Cottonwood, PawPaw, and Ash.
    Found in this past week (Mid-August).
    Growing with this bunch was an UNK slime-mold...some moss...and that was about it. The host wood was saturated from the recent rainfall but it's been fairly dry till then.
    The size is smaller then my pinky finger nail.........very thin.
    Reminds me of a white Crepidotus of some sort? I haven't yet been able to get a spore...unless it's just so light as to not be noticable with the naked eye.

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Looks close to Schizophyllum commune - except yours is obviously dark. Does your fungus have 'split gills'?

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

No split gills on these....But now you mention? The top-side texture has it's similarities. I was going through my thousands of mushroom books (ok...only a few dozen) and really am not finding a darn thing that it could be!
    Besides Crepidotus possibles...I was thinking maybe a kind of Panellus? No idea here.
    I forgot to mention..this is also growing in a couple locations...miles away from each other. One was an old apple orchard that has hawthorne, buckeye and some other thorny trees....But both locations are up from the Missouri River on the Kansas side.