Dug up a non-blooming daylily clump

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Sawyeress, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Sawyeress

Sawyeress Member

I believe these are daylilies (new house) - I dug up because they did not bloom. They were overshadowed by a giant, gorgeous bleeding heart, or it was perhaps that they were too crowded - all of these plants came up in one small clump, which I gently divided by hand.

My question is - should I plant each small clump as is, or should I remove some tubers and replant those as well? I have no idea what color they are :)

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Daylilies don't mind being crowded, if I remember right. If you leave the clumps bigger, you won't have to wait so long for it look nice.

3. Sawyeress

Sawyeress Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll put them back in as is!

4. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

The tops of the plants look like daylilies, but I did not think that they grew tubers as the picture of the far right shows.
    My daylilies that I have dug up have an entanglement of long fleshy roots, but I do not remember having any tubers on them.
    I realize that this may not help you, but maybe someone could identify them if they may something else.
    When you purchae daylilies, they are usually sold as one or two fans and can flower the next year. The clumps get larger each year and are usually split/divided every five years atleast.