drying seeds for planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by jreidsma, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I have some pumkins and gourds and was wondering if there is any special way to dry the seeds of most plants. Or can I just take the seeds out put them on a paper plate and let them air dry.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

for squash as well as tomato, put the seeds/pulp in water first and swish around to remove the pulp from the seeds. strain off the seeds and lay on paper towels or plates to dry.

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

Keep in mind that pumpkins and gourds will readily cross pollinate, so the seeds will produce something that has no resemblance to the original plant.

4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

That will make it more exciting if they are crosses between different plants. The pumkin is a pie pumkin and the gourds are random ornemental gourds that I bought. I havent started the gourds yet but I already did the pumkin seeds. I did them a couple days ago for them I just took the pulp out by hand. For washing them off in water useing spring water would be better than tap water right? Because the tap water has chlorine, rust and other stuff like that in it. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

spring water would be fine. so would tap water if you've allowed it to sit at least 24 hours so that excess chlorine can dissipate - or you could use tap water that's been through a charcoal filter.