Drying Pole Beans

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by The Sauce, Oct 10, 2010.

1. The Sauce

The Sauce Member

Hello,

I grew pole beans this year with the idea that I would let them sit on the vine until they were dried, and then harvest them to use as dried beans over the winter. However, we had a lot of rain this year, and they did not seem to drying out all that well. I've been told that to avoid mold, it's best at this point to pull them off the vine, even if they are not all dried, and let them finish drying inside the house. So I harvested my crop.....some were dried out nicely, and some were not. I chose to shell them right away, thinking that I would dry the beans themselves. I noticed that many of the less dried ones had a green tint to them (I planted green pole beans). After seeing this, I did some more reading, and found that people were recommending pulling them off the vine, letting them dry inside the pod in the house, and then shelling. Wondering if this is more for convenience (the dried pods were definitely easier to shell), or is it to avoid this tint? I am drying the shelled beans now, and the tint does not seem to be going away so far. Has anyone run into this?

Thank you,

Jocelyne