Drought Resistant Lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening for Water Conservation' started by leslied, Mar 26, 2008.

1. leslied

leslied Member

Has Anyone Used Eco Lawn
    We Have A An Lawn On The Ocean With No Shade - The Lawn Is Basically Brown All Summer - We Want To Extend The Lawn Area ( I Know So We Can Have More Brown Grass) - Has Anyone Used The Grass Seed Eco Lawn Or Does Anyone Know Of A Sod Farm In The Lower Mainland Or Vancouver Island (bc) That Has A Drought Resistant Grass -
    Leslie

2. Summerland

Summerland Member

Hi Leslie,
    I've had great luck with Eco-Lawn seed. It grows slow, requires little watering and srouted quickly. I'm told that if you give it more water, then it grows more, but then I would have to rely on more than just the quail to mow it down for me.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Peronally ... I love brown grass in summer, which we nearly always get. I set the watering and mower aside, and the emmissions it causes. Lawns have to be one of the most un-eco-friendly things in urban gardens.
    Sorry for the rant ... check with one of the local growers in your phone directory.

Cheers, LPN.

4. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I hate grass...its so hard to keep green here. Id rather had rocks in my yard then grass

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

so whats stopping you? :)

RE: drought resistant grass, it would seem logical that drought resistant grass would not be tolerant of saturated soils very well.... Our brief dry summer vs our normal prolonged wet fall, winter and spring.

As for a groundcover I know my parents lawn has a lot of blue star creeper in it that doesnt turn brown in summer and is evergreen... never needs mowing either ;)

6. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

home owners association :)

7. jimmyq

ah. gotta get on the council, try and change some of the rules that might not be in the best interests of all. :)

8. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Hmm - additional rant?
    I agree, but a lot comes from how it is taken care of. Mow no more than 1/3 of the height of the grass. Each zone has suggested heights for moisture/temp/thatch concerns, but 1.5 to 2.5 inches (about 4 to 7 cm). Dethatch and aereate once per year, and buy a grass for your zone (single var. or various mix types).

9. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I aerated my yard yesterday...now people told me it lets the lawn breathe and since my yard is sloped downhill that it will help keep the water in my yard instead of in the street.

10. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Yep, it does. Watching thatch height does this also. I believe about 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on factors such as climate, type, soil conditions, etc.

11. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

anyone ever deal with zoysia?

12. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

13. jimmyq

Pierrot, I saw a product like this at the landscapers expo (Vancouver) this past January, I would expect to see it at the home and garden show perhaps this fall.
    There are a number of artificial fields in the GVRD that seem to be pretty effective also.