Dragon's Blood Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Todd82TA, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

Hey guys,

I was looking at some random plants online, and I found this tree, the Dragon's Blood Tree. As far as I'm concerned, it's got to be one of the coolest looking trees I think I've seen in a long time.

Dragon's Blood Tree (Image)

Anyway, the unfortunate thing is that it takes 10 years before it begins it's unique branch growth. I was wondering if there was any way to speed this up. If I had the most amazing soil on the entire planet, would I still have to wait 10 years? Or could I maybe cut it back to 6 years?

Thanks!!!

Todd (Zone 10b)

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not really, no. You could buy a mature one but it would be very expensive. The scientific name (should help find it at nurseries) is Dracaena draco; it is native to the Canary Islands and adjacent western Morocco.

3. Ben Dunigan

Ben Dunigan Member

The true Dragon blood tree is Dracaena cinnabari not draco that is called the dragon tree. close but not the same. cinnabari is not avalable except in seed. I too am looking for this for my conservatory

4. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Yup you are right Ben! Dracaena draco is entirely a different plant from D. cinnbari. I have known that they grow in a dry climate. Is it true?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Both species produce "dragon's blood"; the tree in the original poster's photo link is Dracaena draco and this is also much the more readily available species.