Dragon Tree new growth broke off. Will it regenerate?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Veronica Murawski, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Veronica Murawski

Veronica Murawski New Member

Hi, I have what is believed to be an indoor Madagascar Dragon Plant. I've had this plant for at least 4 years and it grows at a fairly slow rate, which is great for me. It's otherwise seemingly healthy.

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally knocked off the top of the plant on a cupboard when I was watering it in the kitchen sink. The part that came off was the new growth/cluster of leaves in the center - the spear? This entire new growth came right out (just the cluster of new leaves, not any part of the wooden stalk). Unfortunately, I had to toss it out as it wouldn't have any chance to propagate due to the location of the break.

I don't know what to do at this point, and I'm wondering what will happen to the rest of the plant? Will it continue to grow from the breakpoint/ form new leaves from the top (where it broke)? Or will it be permanently stunted?

I attached some pics so you can get a better idea.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    43011274_471757509983515_6139715939303686144_n.jpg 43065955_2181925768745601_8952114860355747840_n.jpg Broken center/top - damaged new growth. The dark spots are just some trapped topsoil.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It depends what you mean by "stunted". The plant should live on ok, but it won't continue growing from the top. It will find some other spot to push out a new branch.

3. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Chances are two buds near the present tip will become primary and you'll have two or more leaders. If that's OK with you, let them grow. If you want to have a single stem then nip the expanding bud you don't want and let the one you like grow. This is the quiet season, so it may not do anything for a few months.