Dragon Fruit (Pitaya)

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by takbok1, Mar 3, 2006.

1. takbok1

takbok1 Member

Hello,

Can anybody tell me where Pitaya gets its flowering signal from, is it Photoperiod, Wet/Dry season, temperature, or what??

regards Graham

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From my previous research on this plant...keep cool in the winter (10-15C) and withhold almost all water to promote flowering.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I should note that the plant I researched was Selenicereus megalanthus, Yellow Pitaya, and not Hylocereus undatus, Dragon Fruit, but I believe they are very similar plants.

4. takbok1

takbok1 Member

Hi Junglekeeper,

I live at 9deg N lattitude 28-30 24/7/12, hence I need to know the actual triggers and try to work out how to fool my plants

5. azmidragonfruit

azmidragonfruit Member

Hello

I am Azmi From Malaysia,, I have planted 2 acres red Dragon Fruit in My Village..now my plant 14 month....every month i got 1 ton for my plant....any body like discuss with me...call 6017-2047303 or email me: zemidragon@yahoo.com

The flower rapidly produce when weather very hot...35-38C, and Raining season the production of fruit can decrease 50% ..i think fertilization cannot well done.....
    Just calick here: http://azmidragon.fotopages.com

By

Azmi

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

Hello Azmii, I live in Boston, a city in the state of Massachusetts, United States, so in the winter time, it's cold and often times will have a lot of snow. I googled info on Vietnamese Dragon fruit (Pitaya) and came to this UBC website. OK, too much for my introduction. three months ago, I bought a Dragon fruit from an oriental market. After eating most of this delicious fruit, I decided to see if it will grow, so I sliced a piece, minced it and planted in a house plant. I didn't expect anything, but many tiny plants came up! Am I a good gardener or what? I thought to myself. :) These plants still survive, but they are only about 1 cm tall after about 3 months. :(

Question I would like to ask you - the holy plant guru - is how do I keep them alive, growing bigger so that flowers and fruits will come out (if they would ever survive this winter in my office)? Any advice? Many thanks in advance!

7. takbok1

takbok1 Member

Hello,

Growing Pitaya from seed is not an easy way to go. Almost impossible.

out of about 500 seeds planted two years ago I have 2 small plants abut 6 inches tall..

Cuttings is the only way to go.

Pitaya are native to Central Mexico, are an under canopy cactus and need steady warm moist conditions, not full sunlight if they are to grow well

From Cuttings they need about 3 years to fruit if the weather and nutrition are good.

Regards Graham.

8. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

Hi,

Only two 6" plants out of 500 seeds!? Wow! That's a very high "fatality rate" for sure. No wonder after 3 months, my strongest Pitaya plants are only 1cm, and most of other are still have their 2 leaves! What part of the world do you live? I like plants, and would like to try to grow exotic plants around the world for fun. Can you help me getting a cutting of Pitaya?

This is great. It's my first time joining a forum and I already received two responses. :cool: Thannks for your quick reply Graham. Azmi also responded via my email address. Thanks Azmi!

Quoc.

9. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

BTW, how do I turn on the smilies? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

QT

10. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

I believe the person who can inform us with a good measure of authority on the cultivation of Dragon Fruit is Mr Azmi. Yesterday I contacted him over the phone and had a long chat on his project. He had successfully grown this specie (red fruit, which is sweeter than the white or yellow varieties) in a commercial undertaking on 2 acres in Malaysia.
    We must thank him for giving me permission to show you pictures of his plants, which suffice to tell you that his farm is a resounding success. I have added some comments as the original description is done in the Malaysian National Language, which few of us can understand.
    Sorry unable to downsize as type is not compatable with 'Flock" program. Trying another program. Great, finally configured the solution to get the pics posted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  11. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Green Lantern,
    Your growth of 1 cm in 3 months is very sluggish because the seedlings do not receive strong light. Dragon Fruit is a tropical plant and thus must have strong sunlight and a hot and humid atmosphere for optimum conditions for growth. When kept indoors you need to give the plants HID lighting and an enclosed area to achieve high humidity (80 to 90 %). If you cannot provide these conditions then try to pull them through the winter and then put them outside in strong sunlight in spring and summer. Unless you can get them to grow all year round you are unlikely to see any flowering before the 5th year.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

Hi Jamkh,

Thanks very much for your response and advice! I will follow your advice and will let you know how it goes in the summer. Best Regards,

QT.

13. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Please see the pictures taken at Mr Azmi's 2 acre farm of Dragon Fruit in a town called Batu Pahat in Malaysia in the thread preceding this by 3 spots.

14. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

Dear Jamkh and Azmi,

Thank you very much for your replies & pictures of Azmi's plants. They are just incredible - especially in a plantation format! I have not seen so many of them. They are so vibrant, strong, and healthy! Not sure how successful I will be after seeing how Azmi's 4 month old plants are as compared to my tiny 2 cm tall plants... However, I will try to buy the HID lamp and see if I can make a clear cover to keep the baby Dragon fruit plants @ high %RH. Hopefully, I will be able to pull through this winter. It will be unfortunate if they will die on me. :(. Azmi said to send me a cutting, but so far I have not heard back from him.... Have a nice weekend!

15. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Green Lantern,
    HID lights are mighty hot and would affect the plastic dome adversely. Alternatively you could rig up four 15 watt flourescent bulbs (Phillips or Sylvania brand will do fine) in parallel on any circular lamp holder. Then get the lights as close as 4 to 6 inches from the tops of your seedlings, futher if you notice any leaf burns. This amount of light will suffice as your seedlings are pretty tiny.
    However if you want them to fruit in a year's time as in Mr Azmi's case you need the intensity of HID lights.

16. The green lantern

The green lantern Member

Hi Jamkh,

Right now the tiny plants are in my office, so I don't think I can put together 4 15 watt fluorescent lights, but I will try to follow your advice and set up some type of equivalent lights. Will report back to you on how I do if/when I am successful. Thanks again!

17. mazlan

mazlan Member

Hi Azmi, i would like to cultivate Dragon fruit trees in Johor Malaysia. Land area is about 2 acres just like yours. I was told the market for Dragon fruit is good. However i'm still septical. Currently, as we can see in Malaysia, dragon fruit are being planted aggresively. I'm worried it will be over produced. What do you think? To whom do you sell your goods?

18. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Mazlan,
    Overproduction in a particular crop happens all the time and all over the world. However the EU countries keep good track on the production of their major crops and have devised a quota system among themselves. So often a farmer is paid a subsidy for not growing his favourite crop or even paid to stop growing completely.
    Your question hinges on the law of demand and supply. While supply can be determined accurately, demand can change according to circumstances. If dragon fruit is found to possess medicinal properties which can be used to treat certain ailments, then you see a big rise in demand. The price will jump up and farmers will smiling all the way to the bank. Thus farming in a small way can be compared to a game of chance, though not like Texas Hold Them poker.

19. azmidragonfruit

azmidragonfruit Member

Asslamualikum Mr mazlan....Thanks....2 years ago my Friend said the same pronounce what u said now....but i think positive...so now alhamdulilah....Dont worry the fruit still marketable......If u interested just call me 017-2047303 and i invite u to visit my farm..as soon as posibble....but just weekend.....i am free at that time....(Part time farmers..hehhe)....

20. azmidragonfruit

azmidragonfruit Member

Lantern sorry....i can sent to u the cutting ..but my country very strict..quarintine....i will try ask my friend ok....in DOE (Department Of Agriculture Malaysia)

21. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Three years in a row now I have planted Dragon fruit seeds from the fruit with a kindergarten class. The cactus from the first year are around two feet tall. They get lots of heat, and lots of light. I have them climbing on wood with bark on it, as the aerial roots seem to grow in to it. I feed regularly. Water regularly. The germination rate is
    huge. Seems like they all germinate everytime.
    I put them in a pot, water, and put a clear plastic bag on top and put them under the grow lights wait a week. I'd say it's one of the easiest cacti I have ever tried to germinate (I've grown lots)

22. mitchnast

mitchnast Active Member 10 Years

someone sent me some seeds and they came up fine for me, if you can grow ANY cactus you can grow these.