Dracaena not doing well

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Dyana Nobrega-Pestana, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

Dyana Nobrega-Pestana New Member

Hi! I’ve had my dracaena for about a year now. A month ago I noticed it started to look different, more yellow leaves and more falling off. I thought I may have been over watering it but it seems like less watering is not helping. I have another one, bought and the same time that is doing amazing.
    Can someone help me save it! I don’t know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. GardAns

GardAns New Member

I heard that often the cause of withering of dracaena leaves is that air is dry. This situation often happens in/after winter because homes are heated. Maybe you can try to mist leaves with water, I think that It may help. Also dracaena naturally leave leaves so it may be normal process.

3. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

All of the leaves are off except for a couple. What do I do now? Should I change the soil? The stem seems healthy..

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That one might be a goner. Is the one that is drying out closer to the baseboard heater or window?

5. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

It’s in the same spot but opposite side of the room as the other dracaena and that one is thriving. They’re the same distance from window and vent. Same light exposure.
    Should I just throw the sick one out? I think the stem looks like the healthy one. I cannot tell where the problem is.
    I also noticed smaller branches from the healthy one. Could I cut them and plant them? (Using new soil and pot?) How do I cut them? Do I place them in just water and then plant?

Thank you!!

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Any reason you don't want to leave them as they are and let them do what they want?

7. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

What do you mean?

8. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

For anyone who cares...

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

You said it seemed to be sending out new growth. I was suggesting just waiting to see what would happen with the new growth. You've done that, have cut them both back and let the new growth develop. Thanks for the update. It looks good on both plants so far. It's hard to tell what went wrong, but if the new growth starts to go bad, I would cut off the best looking stems at a few inches and just stick them into new soil. They don't all make it when I do that, but some do.

10. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

I actually was about to throw the plant out... but one day I saw green buds and was surprised!! I have no idea what happened to it but as long as it’s coming back, I’m happy!

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think you'll get a more attractive plant than before now that there is multiple growth atop each stem.

Dyana Nobrega-Pestana likes this.
  12. Dyana Nobrega-Pestana

Is it normal to happen? All the leaves fall off and then regrow?

13. wcutler

Old leaves falling off is normal. All leaves falling off is not normal. That it would recover and regrow, not so rare. It might have gotten overwatered, much as you think it was in the same situation as your other and was treated the same. And then when it grew some new roots, it started up again.

14. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps you should place this plant next to the one on the other side of the room for the time being, at least until it has had a chance to develop new leaves and regain its strength. Maybe there's something about its original location that is not suitable for the plant.