Dracaena Massangeana is dying!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JasmineK.A., Jul 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JasmineK.A.

JasmineK.A. New Member

Hey,
    I'm really in a distress now. I live in Houston and I just bought Dracaena Massangeana four days ago from IKEA. It was yellow and healthy in the store. I watered it moderately for once and placed it around 5 feet from my window so it wouldn't directly be placed on the sun. However, yesterday, it began to die. Its leaves are covered with brown moist-looking thing. Some have beem covered all and dying. (I attached pictures).
    I really need your help because I'm really sad since I love plants.

Attached Files:

2. JasmineK.A.

JasmineK.A. New Member

Sorry, I meant it was green* and healthy from the store

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yeah, you are going to lose those leaves or parts of leaves. Was the plant in the car for long? As with little kids and dogs, we often don't realize the undue heat or cold we subject our loved ones to when we leave them in the car for "just a sec..." Even in the back of an SUV, waiting in line at the drive up bank teller, or parked in what we thought was shade at the convenience store can be too much.

I've never been to an Ikea store. Would the plants have been outside? And if not, could they have had them exposed to the Houston sun on a loading dock or something?

Also, don't let the leaves touch any window (in your car or home) because that's another source of damage (from heat or from cold).

Good news is that you won't lose the plant entirely. It looks like environmental damage from an extreme exposure. Brief or more gradual exposure to sun and heat can produce scalded leaves that are often paler on the surface but will continue to grow. Not these discolored parts. You may trim them off now, or just let them gradually turn greige and crispy.

JasmineK.A. likes this.
  4. JasmineK.A.

JasmineK.A. New Member

Hey, thanks a lot for the response. You're right, it was in the car for about 20 minutes when I bought it to deliver it home. I think that's the reason. But I'm relieved now that it would not doe completely. I'll try my best to take a good care for it.
    Thank you so much again!