Dracaena marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Robinvaughn, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Robinvaughn

Robinvaughn New Member

I had a dracaena marginata given to me and we moved it on a very cold day, which I knownis not the healthiest thing to do, and now all the leaves are drooping and falling off, I do know that the woman who gave it to me had over watered it, and I do understand the move stressed the poor plant out, my question is, did I kill it by the move or should it make a come back, please help

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You will find out soon enough whether there will be new growth at the top. From my experience, once the leaves droop like that, they stay droopy, even if they are alive and hang on. I wonder if anyone has a different experience with droopy leaves on these plants. The one I convinced myself to part with, a rescue from our building's trash area, had all droopy new leaves too.

Robinvaughn likes this.
  3. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Don't worry about it. It will either recover or not, just treat it like normal, watering it when dry to the touch. They are tough and can bounce back from ugly treatment. Let the leaves fall off so the petiole scar is nice and clean, don't pull them off prematurely. If you want to hurry the process of replacing the leaves, cut them off with a scissors about 2 inches away from the stalk. (As if the plant isn't already ringing the alarm bells to grow new leaves...) While you're at it, you could choose a new height for the tall stalks. Lop them off some distance lower than you want the plant to be a year or two from now, and think about doing that periodically to keep it the height you want it.

Robinvaughn likes this.
  4. Robinvaughn

Robinvaughn New Member

Thank you for the response, it helps to hear others stories

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019