Dracaena Marginata(dragon tree) yellowing, dry leaf tips, brand new help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by GardenNub, Jan 17, 2011.

1. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

Hello,
    Just a few days ago I got about a 3 foot tall dracaena marginata from home depot. It is in a 9" pot in soil that seems to be mostly peat moss or something. When i first got it i kept it in my parents house for 2 days, then I transfered it to my apartment. Now, 2 days later some of the bottom leaves are yellowing, and many of the leaves have browning, dry tips. I have a humidifier in my room which i use occasionally. The light conditions are decent, def. not too bright and Im pretty sure it would be considered about medium light where it is. Im hoping this is just because of the move and that it will bounce back. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

You just got it a few days ago? Consider the traveling conditions on getting it home (cold in the car, cold walking to the house etc), also is it near a heater or window?

3. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

It was cold to the car, on the ride home, and then on the ride to my apartment. The first trip was about 15 minutes. the second about 15 minutes being cold, then my car warmed up. It is not near a heater or window, but is near my tv which produces some heat.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

best to give it medium to high light (whatever you can get at this time of year), keep it out of drafts, dont overwater and have patience till late spring. It may lose all its leaves but dont give up unless the main stem starts to get mushy and deteriorate.

5. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

ok thanks! I think the light conditions are fine. My room is a little drafty though. I guess we will see what happens.