Propagation: Dracaena-deremensis 'Janet Craig' questions

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by d4sh3y, Dec 20, 2009.

1. d4sh3y

d4sh3y Member

Dracaena-deremensis 'Janet Craig':

Is it possible to air layer this plant from one of the side branches, not the main stem?

And If I air layer the main stem… and cut the top off…will new side brances pop out from an empty stem?

I have 4 of these trees all different sizes, what I am really trrying to find out is how to make a bunch of nice sized trees out of the ones I already have,
    Or to grow a long stemmed tall tree from a side cutting if possible.

Any input would be nice :)

Attached Files:

2. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

Re: Dracaena-deremensis 'Janet Craig' propogation questions

i haven't tried propagating dracaena before, but i would air layer a side branch. the growth there is newer than that of the main stem. btw, i've read that if you cut the main stem down near the dirt, new shoots will come up from the base. also, i'd try cutting the main stem into 2-inch lengths for use as stem cuttings.

...does anyone know if you can air layer the same plant in more than one place? for example, could d4sh3y air layer a side branch and the main stem of his plants at the same time?

3. d4sh3y

d4sh3y Member

Oh wow, yeah some of the side branches are making the plant very top heavy i think it will be easiest to air layer a side branch from each tree. That is a great idea though to cut the main stem into 2 inch lengths, i didn't think of that thanks!

good question about air layering in more than one location on the same plant, i don't know the answer to that one!