Propagation: Dracaena babies???

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by EbyClaire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. EbyClaire

EbyClaire Active Member

Hello. It's been awhile since I've been on here and I'm so glad to have some time to appreciate and care for my plants again. Let's start with my 7yro dracaena something... I don't know exactly what the name is.

Since I started job, I hadn't had time to do anything with my plants and i thought that dracaenas liked being left alone? Either way, I have killed most of them. I do have one that dried out at the cane. So, since I was going to throw it away, I decided to experiment on it and pinched the top part off. I left it as is for about two weeks and VOILA, it has three sprouts on it. They look like tiny dracaena... BUT what doI do??? How do I keep them alive since the cane is pretty much a goner?? How do i transplant them to a small container without killing them?

I want to post the pics but since I'm using my phone, i dont know how to!

Thank you for your time and I appreciate all suggestions!

2. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

That also has happened to me. I have a corn plant D. fragrans massangaena. I forgot to water it and the leaves shriveled and die. I cutted the stump and leave it. After a few weeks a small dracaena grew again. I guess its an offshoot. Best you can do is leave it alone. Water it monthly, if in a low light location. In higher light once a week. Fertilize every three months. Just dont forget to water it. :)

3. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

You might be able to cut them off and root them in water. It's something of a gamble, but since you're going to lose the whole plant sooner or later anyway (the cane drying out is likely an infestation of the fungus Fusarium and is not treatable), you may as well try.