Donkey manure tea

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Harry32, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bob mine is manure tea according to the specs up higher. Horse dung with a bit of chook mix soaked for some time then water canned on to pots etc.

Liz

2. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Keep us posted how it works out for you.

Some pictures with and without would be nice too.

Regards

Bob

3. Liz

Bob I am still camera less but will try to do something with my daughters new found urge to plant flower seedlings. Re the manure tea as I said earlier I think this is what they spray on the freshly mown grass fields in Switzerland. It seems to be a pick me up for another mowing. The smell is quiet something. Many of the farms that have winter stables seem to have a manure pit and as far as I can remember from dad it was just mixed with water and sprayed out.

Liz

4. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Liz:
    You have to consider that in your father's time we were not transporting as many genetic rivals from continent to continent as we do today.

If the farmers cows were free of pathogens so were the fields.
    Today pathogens fly in from everywhere via fruits, vegetables, pets and even soil products and tourists.

Once established, they are difficult to control and with the current trend to ban everything in sight there is a very distinct probability that we could experience a collapse in one or more of our local Eco systems.

Cheers

Bob

5. Liz

Bob I saw the maure spraying being done about 3 years ago in CH. The manures I use are totaly from on property and only feed on my fields.
    Liz

6. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Getting rid of manure is one of the larger issues with a large dairy operation (one would assume feedlots too) and there are several methods of returning the nutrients to the fields. There is low tech: a plate sprayer where a jet of liquified manure is sprayed onto a plate which deflects it into a fan shaped spray onto the field, and high tech where the liquified manure is pumped thru a row of small sleigh type applicators into the field close to root level (much less smell and foliage damage). They all have in common fresh manure plus the mixing of just enough water to make it pumpable. You do not want to be downwind of a hog grower doing this. The animals are not generally pastured on these fields (or anywhere else for the most part) but rather are fed the forage (usually in silage form) from the fields so treated. Perhaps the residual antibiotics in the manure makes this practice safer than it would be for a smaller scale manure user.

If you're interested - Sleighfoot manure spreader:
    http://www.farmwest.com/index.cfm?method=library.showPage&librarypageid=31

Ralph

7. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Great post.
    Thanks Ralph.

Bob

8. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Oddly, but unfortunately we seem to be experiencing a pandemic involving a strain or strains of Swine virus influenza at the moment.
    Speculation is that it may have evolved from a manure pond next to a large hog producing plant in Mexico.
    Those of us old enough to remember the other two major pandemics will recall that they are swift and devasting.
    I agian implore each of you to be extremely careful using animal waste as a source of compost teas in your vegetable gardens.

Regards

Bob