Dogwood uncertainty

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca Active Member

My tall 50+' dogwood is shedding leaves. They all have brown spots on the leaves.
    Firstly I would like to know how to distinguish a NATIVE from other dogwoods, and secondly wonder about a cure for the 'blight'.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You would not be likely to have a 50' non-native dogwood in Vancouver, whereas Pacific dogwoods that tall occur in some number on local sites. There used to be three of them in my own neighborhood, one right across the street.

In addition, the leaves shown look like those of the native species. Control is accomplished by repeated annual spraying of suitable fungicides. To treat a tree that tall you would have to locate and engage a spray service with commercial equipment, that included what you needed in their offerings. You would also have to put up with the pesticide droplets raining down from that height onto everything in the vicinity.

3. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca Active Member

Thanks Ron - correcting the fungus problem sounds a very expensive and repetitive proposition. What happens if we leave it - can the tree be damaged? And perhaps you know if the sprays used are harmful to birds etc? Thanks a lot. Ellis