Dog ate part of my Japanese Maple!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Hello! I came across this page looking for answers! I bought a new ***. Maple last week (1 1/2 inch trunk--maybe 3 feet tall) BEAUTIFUL Mushroom shape!! Before I could plant it my dog ate about 1/4th of the branches off the tree on one side (two main branches were eaten half off one was totally chewed off! I was very upset!

After planting, we put elmers glue on the tips of the branches that were half there-hoping they will keep growing to keep the nice mushroom shape!! I read this will protect them from rain rot. I also was able to bend two of the branches on the "sides" to hide the bald spot. I looked up how to train the branches on line- careful with the stirng not to cut in to the branches.

I guess I am asking if the branches that are half there will keep and grow? The leaves came out on the good sides- but where the branches were removed (half of the branch chewed off)- the leaves did not bloom. The trees over all shape is ok (with the two tied branches)- the tree could use some slight shaping to even it a bit- but I will not do this now because I believe the tree has been through a lot of a shock already.....am I doing right?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Pruning seals (glue, tar) are not recommended. Prune or trim the damaged area to remove the jagged wood and clean to the nearest branch collar or internode attachement (maples are paired buds), let the tree seal itself and tr to recover.

3. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like you have the rare Acer cultivar 'Chien Chow' to me......

4. thanks- one more question

Thank you- one more question- the tree has developed leaves on the half of the tree that the dog did not chew. On the other half, all the buds dryed up and dropped off leaving just bare branches (no new buds are visible). Should I expect that half (chewed half ) not to develope leaves this year- but expect to see them N next spring?

Ps- Funny "chow" joke!

5. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

When the buds drop, it is usually a big hint that you have die-back and that is unlikely to rectify itself, but you have nothing to lose by waiting until next spring to see what happens.