Does Shishigashira ever seed?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by guy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. guy

guy Member

Title says it all really, I've never seen seed on Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'. Just wondering if it ever does throw seed - might be some interesting variants.

Cheers
    Guy.

2. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Guy,

I have four planted in my garden and one tree produces seed every year. I posted a picture in the Shishigashira photo thread back showing these seeds. You need to click on the photo to see the seed. I did not have a close up lenz at the time and I will try to remember to get a better shot this year. I have attached a few pictures that may be better of the seed

This is the link http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2209

Ed

Attached Files:

3. guy

guy Member

Thanks Ed,

Seems it would be a good one to play around with if you were looking for new cultivars.

4. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Guy,

I checked the dates on the pictures and they were taken in May. I have not seen any fall seed. I have been keeping a close look for interesting plants coming up in the bed under the tree and I have only been getting those pesty variegated seedlings.

Ed

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Guy & Ed,
    I had this same question on my lips for several years until last October a friend of mine's
    Shishigashari was loaded with seeds and they are very easy to germinate because I got lots of
    seedlings this Spring from those seeds. All have wavy, creased leaves and are quite short.
    I will keep you up on how they grow out. I looked at many Shishigashari trees including a big one
    I have and never saw 1 seed til that one in October and ironically that one was teeming with samaras.
    Mike