Does Fraxinus ssp. plug drains?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Tony Puddicombe, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Tony Puddicombe

Tony Puddicombe Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Does anyone have experience of Fraxinus ssp. ever seeking out perimeter drains around a building? I just visited a 30 foot high tree. The owner wants to know if it will plug up her drains like Salix,Populus and Thuja? The tree is about 25cm diameter at breast height and 15m tall- it is planted 5 meters from the corner of the house

2. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

None of the trees you mentioned deliberately plug drains. People seem to think that roots seek out drains. Any tree can only grow roots where there is water and oxygen. If you have drain tiles around a foundation then the roots must have a path through the soil to reach the tiles. Secondly what is in the drain tiles is there for a tree? Cold water but no nutrients. I doubt the the tree will plug the tiles. Of course each situation is a little different. Fraxinus nigra is quite different from Fraxinus pensylvanica.

On a related note you sound like you were called to give an opinion. IF you are acting as an arborist or an engineer I would suggest that your professional qualifications requires you to turn down jobs where you cannot answer the question ie. you have no experience and ability to render a professional opinion.