Does anyone recognize this pan?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I would really like to find another round pan like the one in this photo to the right of the potted maple. It was here when we moved in and I found it so useful for sifting small amounts of soil. If you have any idea what its original purpose may have been, I might be able to find another. Thanks for any leads.
    Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' 07-2011.png

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Margot likes this.
  3. Margot

Thank you @Junglekeeper. I think you're right. To tell the truth, I'd never seen a bulb tray before but I'll be on the look-out to see if I can find a sturdy one that might double as a soil-sifter.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I use bulb pans upside down to protect my freshly planted (in autumn or - ahem, later :) from our happy hopping towhee garden birds

Obviously l remove as soon as I see sprouting bulbs

Margot - i think go have a look at dollar store - there are lots of plastic baskets with holes in them (intentionally)

i found some brown color plastic round ones I double up and use as bulb containers

i found the purpose-labelled plastic bulb trays a tad expensive for my Yorkshire taste!

Margot likes this.
  5. Junglekeeper

Actually, there's a cheaper alternative. A fenestrated* plastic nursery tray that bedding plants are packed into. They're about 20" x 10" and are free for the asking at nurseries as they are normally discarded. Two or more can be stacked together if one is too flimsy for use as a sieve.

(*) I was going to use the word 'perforated' but learned a new word which describes the construction more accurately.

Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  6. Margot

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fenestrated - good word; I'll have to figure out how to work it into conversations.

I do have dozens of those nursery trays and they would probably work although not my first choice. What I really liked about that old bulb tray was that it was a perfect size for me, very sturdy with high-enough sides that I could put quite a bit in it at a time and, being round, got nothing stuck in corners.

And - best of all - the fenestrations were the exactly the right size.

Here's something I found online which would be ideal - except that it costs about $40.

upload_2021-11-6_21-1-40.png

Attached Files:

7. Junglekeeper

That looks like a gold sifting pan.

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Soil seives or riddles like that are common here in the UK, and not for $40. The round metal ones with various mesh sizes can be had for the equivalent of $15 Canadian or less, and they do plastic ones these days that are cheaper still.

Edit: for example these ones at a UK national chain with branches in every town

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Margot likes this.
  9. Margot

Thanks for the lead. I'll take a look in local garden centres next spring when they stock up again.

10. Junglekeeper

11. Margot

Thanks @Junglekeeper. I do have a green plastic type from LV which works pretty well although I don't like the corners. It's also on the pricey side. I'd like to pop over to the UK where @maf says I could pick one up for ~$15 CAN. That old bulb tray was perfect - proof that 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone'.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  12. Georgia Strait

Out of curiosity - I looked & there are several on Amazon Canada in the 25$ Cdn funds price range

i have attached a quick screen image for example

did we get the backstory on what valiant final effort your prev « pan » (riddle) served? :)

hopefully it wasn’t a helpful spouse cleaning up garden shed (one time helper person here took a nice original painting AND some bank cards to thrift … thankfully i knew thrift manager and went and parked outside at 7am for 10am open :)

everyone survived !

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  13. Georgia Strait

Hello @Margot —- my big treat today was going to one of the local nice plant places (after some less exciting errands )

and I noticed these bulb trays

thé diameter on the round one was like a pie — not very big

i still like the « fenestrated » plant tray idea - above

i notice there are TWO diff patterns on those plant trays — so maybe combine one of each

Attached Files:

14. Margot

Thank you! The price is right but I'd want smaller openings . . . if I'm going to all the trouble of sifting soil, I want to get rid of most of the little rocks. Anything smaller than ~1/4 inch is tolerable.

When I lived in Burnaby, in the low area between Deer Lake and Burnaby Lake, the soil was naturally free of rocks; perhaps sediment washed in eons ago. It was so rich and lovely to work with! I can't let that be my ideal anymore now that rocks prevail where I am now but I do love the feel of pure soil on my fingers even in small, select areas.