Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by beth1234, Jun 28, 2019.

1. beth1234

beth1234 New Member

Tree? Shrub? Do you know the name? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A cherry Prunus of some sort.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I see a resemblance to serviceberry (Amelanchier).

4. beth1234

beth1234 New Member

It’s in the North Thompson BC and is growing underneath a row of spruce trees in needles and hardly any sun. If that helps at all, I’m looking to find out what it is so I can hopefully get more to plant along my fence line.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I understand the importance of finding out the proper name of this shrub and I'm sorry I can't help you with that. In the meantime however, there's nothing to stop you from rooting cuttings that you could eventually plant along your fence line. It looks to me like the sort of shrub that would propagate well. Worth a try in any case.

6. beth1234

beth1234 New Member

How do I do this? Cut a branch and place in water until it grows roots?

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

There is so much advice on how to take cuttings that I would recommend you check a few websites about proper procedures. Basically however, you would take a short piece of the branch, perhaps 4 inches long and, using a clean pair of scissors or whatever, make a cut below the bottom node. What I usually do is dip that bottom bit in rooting hormone, either powder or liquid, and then place it in a pot of sterilized potting mix. You could put several in a 1-gallon pot. Make sure the mix is moist and then place a plastic bag over the pot to create a mini-greenhouse. Difficult-to-root cuttings are sometimes placed over a heating mat but, at this time of year, I'd see how this minimal technique works. As I say, there is so much info on the web that these suggestions barely scratch the surface.

8. beth1234

beth1234 New Member

Okay thank you very much :)

9. Ron B

Spring-blooming deciduous rose family trees tend to not come out well from cuttings unless particular methods are employed.

10. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Looks like a chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) to me. Those should be pretty easy to propagate by rooting cuttings.

11. Ron B

Chokecherry is something that would be expected to be seen in the Interior. I wouldn't expect it to be easy to start at the home hobbyist method level, especially this late in the season - with deciduous subjects often getting them to root is just half of the problem, with rooted cuttings also needing to be induced to flush a shoot growth that sets winter buds before that first fall. Otherwise these fail to grow away again the following spring.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. beth1234

beth1234 New Member

I don’t know whatever it is just grew up randomly underneath a row of spruce trees with hardly any sun

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Natural distribution map for Prunus virginiana, according to Wikipedia:
    220px-Prunus_virginiana_range_map_1.png
    Should include North Thompson BC.

14. Ron B

Yes - in our region Prunus virginiana is characteristic of continental areas but is also present to a lesser extent in maritime ones*. Likely a bird brought the one asked about here either from a nearby wild specimen or a planted one.

*Some North American distribution records may perhaps be based on misidentification of naturalized P. padus as P. virginiana - these two are so close the suggestion they be treated as a single species has been made in the past.