Do I need a trellis for my tea rose?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by lily, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

My very first rose. I planted a Hybrid Tea Rose in May, called "Firefighter" It is growing quite nicely so far (lots of buds) but seems to be growing quite fast. The little card that came with it says...Upright and bushy, (medium to tall) and I'm wondering how tall is tall? Will I need a trellis or arch? Sorry, but I don't know 2 hoots about growing roses. Are you suppose to stake a Tea Rose? Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Training onto a support would ordinarily come up only when growing a climbing hybrid tea. Even then some are stiff and vertical enough that they often hold themselves up without assistance. But one might want to fan such specimens out onto a frame so that they have something other than a tall narrow plant with flowers concentrated at the top.

Note for the sake of clarity that hybrid tea is a separate class from tea. Teas are old garden roses.

3. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Thank you Ron, I'll wait a little longer to see how tall it gets. Also, thanks for clarifying the difference between a hybrid and a tea.