Digitalis purpurea

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Nik, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Non-native species for North America that can become invasive under certain conditions.
    Some are Digitalis purpurea f. albiflora.
    Flowers are produced in the second year. In the first year only a basal rosette of leaves develops, and they overwinter as evergreen.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

I removed the stems of the albiflora as soon as they finished flowering. It looks like I will manage to get one more season out of them. (First two photos). The rest are first year rosettes that I left to develop for flowers next year.

Attached Files:

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

The reason I encourage this plant in our yard is the hummingbirds. They like it, and I like them.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

They have lovely blossoms but are incredibly weedy. There were a few Foxgloves in the back yard of the property we bought more than 45 years ago. I still live and garden there and pull out new seedlings every year.

Margot likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik good morning N, I can see why you say can be invasive, they are carpeting that area. But what a lovely amount of colour you will have next June.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No chance! The seeds can survive for years, perhaps decades, in the soil seedbank. You'll be pulling them out for a long, long time to come yet :-)

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Quite a few years ago, I succumbed to the beauty of foxgloves. So as not to be inundated with seedlings the next year, I removed the flowering stems before they had all actually bloomed - but it was too late. The earlier-blooming flowers on the lower part of the stalk had already set and released seeds. Now, many years later, I still have dozens and dozens germinating every year. The good thing is that there's lots of time to remove them before they're anywhere near reproducing again.

One positive thing though is that I learned about pelorism - Pelorism - Wikipedia - when I found the flower in my attached photo.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot what a stunning photo and I enjoyed reading the link on Pelorism Margot.

9. scilover

scilover Member

WOW I'm impressed with the flower. I never saw it before like for real I never see it. the first glance makes me think is it morning glory but it is not. and it is beautiful :))