Different methods of potting/growing plants

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Barbara Lloyd, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, so if not move it.

Several months ago I asked Steve Lucas (Photopro) about growing Staghorn ferns "in the round" ie: Where the plant grows not only out the top but also from the sides and the bottom of a wire planter lined with coconut husk. He said he had one growing that way that was HUGE and perfectly happy.

I still haven't done that method of planting with my Staghorn but some time before that I did repot a CEROPEGIA woodii - rosary vine into the only hanging planter I had available. Several of you agreed it really needed repoting and the only pot I had available happened to be a wire basket roughly 5 inches in diameter filled with a coconut husk liner.

It doesn't appear to have any new vines growing from inside the pot thru the matting to the outside as yet, but some of the vines hanging over the edge have snustled up to the coconut mattiing and have rooted!

I promise Steve, that as soon as I find a place to hang a heavy pot I will redo the Staghorn. but in the meantime I'll watch carefully what happens with this vine. Any ideas on the possible outcome? ;))) barb

2. Blue Fox

Blue Fox Member

Can you post a pic of your Ceropegia? One of my all time faves - I like its other name of Hearts Entangled!

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Barb, glad to hear that your rosary-bead is doing well.

And I love your word 'snustled'! I will incorporate it into my vocabulary!

My staghorn has been growing in a wire-and-matting basket for several years, and appears to be enjoying it.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Can't help you with this one Barbara but I know the method works great for Platycerium. Our plant is now covered with sori but there isn't a soul around that wants any! Probably couldn't get anyone to come get it now anyway since we have 7 inches of snow.

No one would believe we have a "tropical rain forest" in the back yard!

Attached Files:

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, Steve---was wondering if you were getting the Arctic blast!
    Hope that your power stays ON, and that all is OK wth you, your family, and the plants.

6. photopro

Thanks! This "arctic blast" is not nearly as bad as the one the week after Christmas into the second week of January, just lots more snow. Temps then were near zero (F) for nearly two weeks but now are in the mid 20's (F). Tomorrow the snow starts to melt! The plants are all fine and today we found new inflorescences on five Anthurium. We're fine as well.

Now, back to solving Barbara's problem!

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

So glad to see you both on "Unusualplants". I was afraid I'd loose contact with the people I'd come to trust for knowledge and advise.

Blue Fox - I've never heard the name "Hearts Entangled". It's fanciful. barb

8. photopro

We need to get more activity over there! I was invited to join a brand new aroid group and they have a bunch of posts every day! I think because the don't have a lot of headings many people are afraid to post. You you guys "over there".

Steve