Dieing Ficus Elastica

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rycrocks, Jul 30, 2005.

1. rycrocks

rycrocks New Member

I have spent countless hours try'n to find out how to save this plant. My fiance's mother past away a year ago and she was a plant freak ... after they were dispersed to family, friends and nieghbours ONE remains and its not doing well. Near as I can tell it started when we moved it from the front window to the back corner (I figured it would thrive as my stereo is never off and music would compensate for loss all that light ... like things would balance... *shrug*) Ummm ... plant is not doing well ... there is not much time to save it ... my theory may have panned out had the shades been opened on the way out the door in the morning but due to lack of attention this poor thing may not survive ... there is only one leaf left and the only thing that hasn't turned dark brown and hard are the very tips of the plant.... Can someone please help me save this plant somehow ... as without assistance I fear that when the day comes to meet with her in the heavens she is going to kick us for letting it die. We may recieve some mercies if it can be saved by somehow clipping the tips???

2. rycrocks

rycrocks New Member

Ok, So here's where I'm at this sunny Wednesday morning, I found a site that told me to take cuttings ... naturally I cut the only 'green' pieces left from the plant. The last leaf hit the floor... Ive submersed two of the four in water to root? and the other two .. I placed news paper around and rapped loosely in plastic. One of the clippings that were in water without plastic has already turned black and seems to be on its way to plant heaven ... the other three have yellow tips and do not look as though they are far behind?

Is there intervention out there somewhere? Any advice would be appreciated.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm, sounds like you may have to buy a new start. Cuttings from plants in poor health often don't make it. I usually start cuttings in moist peat and sand, so the new roots get some air. I usually seel them in a plastic bag or some container to keep up the moisture level of the air. If they are still alive and you did not add a rooting hormone, you may want to try that.