Did you know?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by togata57, Nov 30, 2008.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Charles Darwin published "On the Origin of Species" in 1859. Three years later, he followed this with: "On the various contrivances by which British and foreign orchids are fertilised by insects". ---News to me! Amazing how one can go through life and not know these things. I'm off to find a copy.

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

If you do a search for Angreacum sesquipedale video you can see a large moth pollinating a flower. Darwin predicted this moths existence from the long nectary on the flowers of this orchid.

This is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVN1EWxfAU

Shaun

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I have never popped into the orchid forum before, but togatas catchy thread..." Did you know", kinda drew me in!
    Absolutely fascinating clip... thank you arcticshaun.
    Darwin was one truly amazing man, what a shame he never lived to see the moth himself.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yeah, that video is amazing in all its elements: the flower, the moth, and the patience of the cameraman!

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wow.

Togata: consider that Darwin spent a large chunk of time off the Galapagos. It's not too far-fetched that he ended up on the mainland of Ecuador as well. I can personally attest to the abundance of orchids in the coastal forests - maybe he was able to watch the pollination process here and then extrapolate to Britain?