Detrimental? Spotted a Couple of Ants on Saturn Peach Tree

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jlee, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jlee

jlee Member

Hello everyone,

I just spotted a few ants on my peach tree and wanted to know if this would develop into a problem? As to the species of ant, I have no idea but if that is crucial I could snap a few pictures. I live in California.

Thank you in advance for your input and time.

Best,
    JLee

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Only a few ants is not a problem. Even more than a few ants is generally not a problem.

3. biggam

biggam Active Member

I wonder what business the ants have in your peach tree. Check for aphids, as ants often tend to them (farm them like dairy cows!) If you find aphids (often near terminal growth,) then spray them with insecticidal soap.

4. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

A few ants on your tree are probably just looking for food to take back to the colony. If you eventually get an ant 'highway' going up and down the trunk of the tree then you definitely have a problem with some sort of pest which has attracted the ants by exuding a substance they like (aphids) or causing the tree to lose sap by chewing into the leaves.

Anne

5. jlee

jlee Member

I did quite a thorough inspection of the tree, could not find any aphids currently. It seems that they are just running around foraging for food. I will keep a watch out for them though in case they decide to farm aphids on my tree. :P

Thanks every for all the help!