Dendrobium cane was split in two

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by rubyrose, Sep 3, 2007.

1. rubyrose

rubyrose Member

Hello everyone. I have a dendrobium cane potted in a pot but it fell and the cane was split in two. The one with the root was still in the pot and the roots are ok but the other half with the leaves will it still grow? do i need to put it in pot? it was a very healthy dendro. Will surely appreciate the advice thanks.

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I've tried with little success. If you can see any roots on that cane you might be luckier than I was. But without roots already forming, I was never able to cause the plant to root again.

3. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

The only thing I've heard about regenerating growth on Dendrobium canes mentioned laying the cane horizontally on a bed of damp media (sand). In the picture that I saw multiple grows sprouted from along the nodes. This was described for older leafless canes and I've had no succes with the process myself. For your cane you can try repotting it in media (I would remove some of the lower leaves) and staking it in place. I wouldn't want to place odds on the success of your plant but your conditions are way warmer and more humid than mine. The remaining growth of your Dendrobium will probably sprout new growths during the next growth cycle although they may be smaller at first with the loss of stored energy in your damaged cane. I've always been pleasantly suprised by the hardiness and resilience of Dendrodiums in my indoor conditions, I have no doubt that your plants will be large specimens in no time.

Shaun