Dendrobium Bigibbum Care

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by A.J., Apr 16, 2007.

1. A.J.

A.J. Member

I have a Dendrobium Bigibbum that flowered a few months ago. I pruned back the spent flower stalks no problem and it is preparing to flower again but I have a few issues.
    Basically, the two main stalks (if that is the right word) as you can see from the picture don't seem to be as plump or as fresh as they should be. The leaves are also a yellowy green. I am wondering if some pruning needs to be done again after flowering.
    I water it once a week with a half strength fertiliser (Baby Bio) but I'm not sure if that is sufficient.
    I would appreciate any input that people can throw my way. I really want my plant to flourish.

Attached Files:

2. SierraM

SierraM Member

I've attached the FAQ on Dendrobiums that's available from the American Orchid Society. If ever an organization there was worthy to join, the AOS is unquestionably the one. Their yearly Orchid Show is the most extravagant orchid display anywhere. Their FAQ will answer the majority of question you may have.
    http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/orchids/page01.aspx
    psssst...A secret, the last day of the show, the dealers sell off everything they've brought for pennies on the dollar. Best deals anywhere!

Attached Files:

3. A.J.

A.J. Member

Many thanks, Sierra M, I hope to get a little more into orchids and will certainly use the referenced website as a port of call for info. One thing I am curious about is pruning, namely how and when. I keep thinking mine may need it but I haven't the first clue where to begin. I have no idea how long it has been in its current medium either. I guess I should take the fact that it's starting to flower again as a sign that it is content.

4. SierraM

SierraM Member

Pruning, hmmmm, basically you don't...at least not like you'd prune a rose or a perennial. Orchids are divided when growth forks, and only when sufficient back-bulbs exist to support new growth. This is usually around two to three strong back-bulbs/fork. The leaves are not pruned, and rambling roots are merely "redirected" back into the pot, if they're cooperative. Trimming deformed leaves (insect damage, sunburn, low moisture) can be done with sterile tools, and the attempt to balance leaves with bulb growth.

Repotting however should be done before new growth is initiated. This permits new roots to be rapidly reintroduced into the medium restarting water and nutrient absorbtion. Repotting before dormancy usually results in severely stressing the plant. Repot when the medium appears to have begun breaking down and remaining wet for excessive lengths of time...not moist, but wet. Lastly, water flow through old medium is slow. It should be rather quick and unrestricted. Remember the ideal nature of your medium & you can figure out when it's beginning to turn.

Orchids are remarkably resilient plants. Considering the sheer number of species and the extent of their range, survival is the name of their game. NEVER assume that simply because it's blooming that it's happy. Most plants will try to bloom to assure survival of its genetic progeny as it becomes stressed. The worse the conditions, the more frantic the attempt to bloom....providing of course it's not too far gone to physically handle blooming.
    Check the AOS site for an excellent variety of basic references, visit a few orchid ranges and shows, and post here....orchid fanatics are only too willing to spread their obsession<G> Good luck.

5. orchidboy

orchidboy Active Member

I don't know if this works with this particullar orchid, but with cyms i have found that if you can fit your finger into the medium quiet easily, and it goes in past the 1st 'bump' of your finger (depending on finger size) or more than its time to repot. if its hard to fit your finger in than its ok. also look for mould or growth on the medium this is another sign that the plant needs to be repotted

6. A.J.

A.J. Member

Pruning, hmmmm, basically you don't... - Thanks! You may have prevented a disaster!.

Repot when the medium appears to have begun breaking down and remaining wet for excessive lengths of time...not moist, but wet. Lastly, water flow through old medium is slow. It should be rather quick and unrestricted. Remember the ideal nature of your medium & you can figure out when it's beginning to turn. - This is great info and thanks to your descriptions I have ascertained the medium is in good condition.

NEVER assume that simply because it's blooming that it's happy. - I'll bear it in mind

Good luck. - Thanks again! You have been very helpful.

7. A.J.

A.J. Member

I'm back with another question! My orchid has grown a beautiful new shoot heavy with potential flower buds. A couple of them already look ready to open but for some reason they are stayng shut tight. It has been like this for over a week now. Is this normal?

8. SierraM

SierraM Member

No, it's not exactly uncommon. One of the hardest things I ever experience is counting the minutes until that first bud opens. I have had occasion when buds have resisted opening due to low humidity. Raising the humidity around the plant usually helps...I find that a light fine misting of distilled water can work. Resist the urge to help it along by prying the bud open. Then again, most of the time that I felt a bud was overdue...the bud knew better & opened when it was ready.

9. A.J.

A.J. Member

Hey Sierra M,

I followed your advice - patience and increased humidity and I've enjoyed this for the last couple of weeks. Worth the wait! Thanks

Attached Files:

10. SierraM

SierraM Member

Congratulation A.J. It appears you saved the plant and provided it everything it needed to thank you in flowers. Good job.

SierraM