Delonix Regia or Royal Poinciana

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nath, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gurucubano

gurucubano Active Member

What is the age more or less of this tree? ¿Cuántos años tendrá más o menos?

Saludos

Matthias

2. pichoboxing

pichoboxing Member

hello, cuando yo las saque de la tierra tenian como de 15' a 25' de altura yo calculo por el grueso que tienen el tronco entre 7 a 10 anos maybe, no menos de 5 anos por seguro. take care

3. AJQ

AJQ Member

I too have just recently joined the Club. I purchased what I thought to be a small seedling but on arrival it was considerably larger with hard wood at bottom half of the trunk. It looked slightly dishevelled though. Have repotted into an only slightly wider pot, wish i had read all this here first though. All the leaflets are drying up with a few small branches dropping as well :-(( I have watered it thoroughly as it did seem pretty dry and i guess spent some time in transit. The mix was compost, sharp sand and perlite, topped with gravel for weed supression. I have had it a week and it is now indoors as we had strong winds over the last few days which it did not seem to like. I will keep it indoors now hoping it will recover then put it out in the sunshine come spring time. Regards Andy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. AJQ

AJQ Member

So far it is now loosing more leaflets and branches :-(((

Rgds Andy.

5. Razzler

Razzler Member

Hi...Just joined the forum in hope that I can save my 3 month old grown from seed...
    I will attach a picture to show how the leaves have suddenly begun to turn yellow and drop off (please click on it to see detail).
    The plant was lightly watered around a week ago and is kept indoors at a temp of around 22c (on a window sill).
    Is it likely to recover??...Many thanks...

Attached Files:

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

From the look of the container it's not a proper pot and therefore may
    not allow drainage of water. The roots may be rotting.

7. Razzler

Razzler Member

Thanks for coming back, but the pot has plenty of drainage as shown in the attached picture...

Attached Files:

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Good drainage! That tree wants to be warm (22c.night--27c.day) and have a deep container.

9. KiwiGrower

KiwiGrower New Member

Waikanae, Kapiti Coast, Wellington, New Zealand
    WOW, great to find this thread. I'm growing a couple of flamboyant tree seedlings here in the North island New Zealand. I saw these trees on a recent trip to Fiji and wanted to see if they would grow here. My seedlings are doing well, still currently in a sheltered greenhouse. I heard they can't handle less than 5Degrees Celcius when they small. I plan to keep them in the greenhouse for the next year, get them big, and then in Spring 2019 plant one or two in the garden to see if it can survive the next winter. Our winters are pretty mild here, very rarely we get frost, but it does sometimes get to 5Degrees Celcius mid winter.