Delivery to Edm.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by nlafrance3, May 8, 2007.

1. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Is there absolutely any nurseries in Canada or USA that will deliver palms to Edm, Ab?

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Lots, what are you looking for?

3. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

hello nlafrance3

yes depending on what you are looking for? are you looking for indoor palms

you have Holes nursery in Edmonton and also parklands in Sylvan lake that may be able to help. If not Eagle lake in strathmore may alos be able to help

4. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Thanks for that but no im not looking for indoor palms. I'm looking for sabals, needles, trachies, jubea, blue needle, washies....anything outdoor that is remotely cold hardy. I know nobody in this city has anything like that, or the province for that matter.

5. Carol Ja

6. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

already dealt with them, they have good trachies and washies but i still want to see if theres more out there especially bigger sizes.

7. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

might want to check your cold hardiness in that area. Edmonton gets some nasty winter cold snaps. although ive heard of some people growing banana trees in ontario and the odd trachycarpus fortunei (but thats just rumor ... dont know if its true or not)

8. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Ya I'm quite aware of the cold winters we can have in Edmonton but I don't need to be like the rest of the people living here and just accept the plants that we're given to grow here. I love to experiment, and am willing to protect. If no one would have tried palms in BC in the first place, then everyone would still be saying its impossible.

9. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

well i wish ya luck man, it would be cool to see them other places besides the southwest corner of BC.

10. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Thanks for the support. My 4 foot trachy's going in the ground this year and I hope I can get a 15 gallon med. fan palm and brahea to join them. Its just very hard to get shipping out here even if I'll pay for it. People don't wanna take the time to help me out.

11. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

I have some brahea armata seedlings for sale that I will ship to Edmonton. They only have their first and second leaves, though, so I don't know if you are interested. I mostly grow cycads and don't have these listed on my web site but I do have about 30 of these seedlings. They would need to be overwintered indoors for several more years before planting out, however.

12. nlafrance3

nlafrance3 Member

Thanks for the offer but I dunno if I want to have anymore seedlings going on. I really want to get my hands on a large palm to be able to test true hardiness. People trying 2 gallon plants will never get a good evaluation as to that of a 10 foot palm. I currently have a 10 gallon trachy fort, a sabal Louisiana thats about a year old, and many washy fil. seedlings. I just want to find a way to get a large palm here. Who do all the Canadian nurseries get their palms from?

13. Carol Ja

Most of our big palms come from the states. The sort of stuff your looking for is hard for people in BC to find. Most common palms we get here are the European fan palm, and the Chinese Fan palm. All the big stuff, people have bought Phytosanitary certificates to get their stuff across the borders. Or they start it from seed.

14. palmera

palmera Active Member