degroot's spire

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Shirley Isaac, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Shirley Isaac

Shirley Isaac New Member

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with Degroot's Spire. I have three that I planted last year and while they look healthy (dark green) they don't seem to be growing. I planted them 27" apart, hoping to make a dense hedge. Right now, they're about 4 feet tall and 1 foot wide. I'm not so concerned about the height, because I think I've seen growth there. But will these plants ever get wider, and how wide? What I've read online is largely unhelpful, because there seems to be no standard answer to how wide these evergreens get. I don't want to wait ten years only to find that they're no wider than 18". I live about two hours east of Vancouver and my soil has good drainage. They're planted in full sun.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I see that this is Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'. Maybe the folks who could answer this would appreciate your replying with some photos. See Attach photos and files.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The point - so to speak - of this variety is how skinny it is. So maybe you should redo your planting, with a closer initial spacing if you are bothered by how things have been going so far.

4. Shirley Isaac

Shirley Isaac New Member

Yes, maybe I should. The horticulturist who sold them, however, told me to plant them 3 feet apart to make a hedge. 27" apart seemed like a concession to that advice. And they've only been in the ground a year. Maybe I'll wait one more year and measure their growth.

5. Margot

Margot Generous Contributor 10 Years

I wonder if the horticulturalist who recommended planting Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire' realized how slowly they grow. The 'Great Plant Picks' website suggests setting hedge plants 18 to 24 inches from centre to centre, depending on how large the plants are initially. It takes about 10 years for them to achieve a width of 1-1/2 feet although they eventually can become 3 to 4 feet wide. Great Plant Picks: Unbeatable Plants for the Maritime Northwest Garden

Once the trees are at the height you want, trimming the tops encourages them to grow wider because the growth hormones will be directed into existing areas, increasing their thickness. Regular fertilizing and mulching should also help the hedge grow a little faster.

Like @Ron B, I would consider buying 2 or more trees and replant those you have to set them closer together.

6. Shirley Isaac

Shirley Isaac New Member

Thanks for this advice!