Defoliating maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 22, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I posted a couple of messages that involved defoliation : it can be accidental (hot wether, lack of watering) or intentional (for bonsai growers and for various reasons).

For instance, this Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream' had leaf spots. At the same time, the leaves were bigger than I wanted, a second flush means smaller leaves. But basically, I was looking for a way to make it healthier :

Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Pictures I took this evening. I could (should) have removed buds starting from the same point, but I was not sure of how the weather would allow. Still a bonsaï in the making, not a bonsaï. Already too long an intro, so I won't develop. The second picture (top of the "canopy) was taken after it was moved in the shade. The colours are pretty true to the actual ones. And I keep on feeding leaf-cutter bees, but as long as they don't strip it off totally, I turn a blind eye on the little beasts... ^_^

acerp_orangedream01_200722a.jpg acerp_orangedream01_200722b.jpg

There's also the 'Jerre Schwartz', accidental defoliation => slip-potting, without watering too much :

ER : slip-potting

It should work.

Intentional defoliation for "aesthetic" purpose (Bonsai stuff) .
    Seedling from unknown parentage, with long internodes. Defoliating it allows pruning (hoping shorter internodes) and smaller leaves :

May 2019 :

acerp19_190529a.jpg

June 6th. I had "slip-potted" it a couple of weeks before in a plastic tray (TV dinner) :

acerp19_200606a.jpg

12th July 2020.

acerp19_200712b.jpg

Nik, emery, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I thought i was the only person that used take out dinner trays. I don't feel alone now!

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK, this is something that terrifies a lot of people. But when it comes to cultivars like Orange dream, Jordan, Bi-hoo etc etc, it is a necessity for removing scorched leaves, as long as the tree is not young. If under 5 years of age I prefer to leave it to it's own devices.
    I like a tree to be well established before carrying out any defoliation.
    Not sure if this differs to your procedure but would welcome your thoughts.

4. Mani

Mani Active Member

Would be interested in thoughts on this too. My orange dream is also suffering with scorching but is a young tree.

5. AlainK

Of course defoliation can only be carried out when there's a straong root flare. Which means of course a certain number of years, but what's more, a good condition of the roots.

Anyway, if it's not an emergency, it should be only done for bonsai, by people who have lost, and kept, bonsai. It isn't something that has to be reproduced on a latge scale for most maple enthusiasts. It's just a personal experience on a very limited extension of the universe of maples...

emery and Acerholic like this.
  6. AlainK

Defoliating doesn't mean curing a maple from any disease.

But IF after defoliating it, you can keep it in a healthier environment, it should work - at least for some time ;-)

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Growing healthy and beautifully shaped Bonsai is certainly on its own in terms of the intricate skills And knowledge required, I am in awe..

I seem to repeatedly manage to ruin a couple of Chinese Elm bonsai.. Nurse them back to health then forget to water for a couple of days and I am back to square one.. #tears

8. AlainK

Och...

Back to maples now (?)

9. dicky5ash

I have to admit I have never done any reading on bonsai..so I deserve all I get (but the trees Certainly don’t deserve my inadequate attempts), I have just tried keeping a couple of small Chinese Elms, whilst the main focus being my JM.. they are both still alive..in the nursing back phase at the moment..

Chinese elms are apparently easy as-well!! Shame on me!

10. Acerholic

Here are two of my worst affected maples in my garden. Bi-hoo and Jordan. The sun and strong winds took it's toll on both this season.
    Even though they are strong trees I let the leaves drop naturally. New buds are swelling already.
    Notice the Bi-hoo die back that is typical of this cultivar.

@Mani, this might answer your question Mani.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Cjart like this.
  11. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic thanks! That's very helpful to see!

12. Acerholic

@Mani, good afternoon Mani and your welcome. It is important to show that not everything on here is a great success story.

kgeezy20 and Mani like this.
  13. Mani

Mani Active Member

Acerholic likes this.
  14. dicky5ash

Here’s the Bad section of the orange dream you told me not to move out the front.. some of it is ok

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, it has suffered a bit R. But the good thing with maples is they lose those and next Spring all will be well again. Bet you will then be posting a wonderful Orange dream !!!

16. AlainK

I already posted photos of this 'Jerre Schwartz' in another thread, but the story of this "accidental defoliation" belongs better here.

Leafless, July 20th. New buds were green.

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720a.jpg

I slip-potted it, adding very draining-free mix (mostly pozzolane 5-7 mm + a little compost.)

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200720e.jpg

It was put in a sunny place, from 10 to 16, the hottest hours of the day. Today, July 28th. Most of the buds have produced leaves.

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200728a.jpg

I will now put it in dappled shade and add a little anti-chlorosis fertilizer.

zfrittz, Nik and LoverOfMaples like this.
  17. AlainK

It seems the 'Jerre Schwartz' appreciated :

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_201112b.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_201118a.jpg

zfrittz, Nik, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.