Decreasing pH over a large area of land

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by zakacheema, Jul 6, 2007.

1. zakacheema

zakacheema Member

hello i have my own land for agri purpose but i have one problem. the P.H level of my land is 9.25. I want to decrease PH level of my land. Is there any method that i decrease PH level of my land upto 7. Is there any method that i can prepare soil conditioner at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Homemade soil conditioner

See if this web site can help with bringing your alkalinity down. Most of the sites I have read recommend you also add compost material. It appears that 7 is not too bad and will benifit from the natural manures and compost.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils2n.pdf

Liz

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Homemade soil conditioner

Reducing the pH of a large area of agricultural land is not easy - very expensive, and it would need re-application frequently. Bear in mind that a hectare of soil half a metre deep weighs something 100,000 tonnes, all of it with that pH: that is a huge amount to try to change. It would be better to leave the soil as it is, and grow plants that are adapted to that pH. A lot of plants in the cabbage family will take that pH.

4. angilbas

angilbas Active Member

A pH as high as what zakacheema reports implies that the soil has sodium carbonate. This will need to be leached out before a diverse array of plants can be grown. Sodium carbonate is soluble in water, and once it is gone the pH won't be above 8.5. Gypsum can be used along with water to help displace sodium and bring clay particles out of a dispersed state.

-Tony