Declining Deodar Cedar: Pests or Sabotage?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Elvina Titchmarsh, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Elvina Titchmarsh

Elvina Titchmarsh New Member

I have a large property line Deodar cedar (10 - 12 m.) that appears to be dying. It has always flourished, regardless of weather, and now, instead of being green and bushy, it's pale, spindly, and weak looking. Deodars generally seem to do well in the summer, so I don't think our present drought is affecting it.

Recently, we noticed 2 series of about 20 holes in the lower part of the trunk (note line of holes across bottom of trunk, and again a few feet up). Could this be linked to the health of the tree? Do we have woodpeckers? bugs? neighborhood saboteurs?

Before I call an arborist, does anyone have any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks like sapsucker damage.
    Welcome to the forums.

3. Elvina Titchmarsh

Elvina Titchmarsh New Member

Thanks! You're obviously right about the sapsucker. After looking at photos, this doesn't look like a bad case. So, I wonder what is causing the deodar to look so fragile? It seemed indestructible - weedlike, even. The other day I saw a racoon climbing it right to the top; he would formerly have been hidden, but was totally exposed because of the pale thinning branches.