Decimated foliage. What to do?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Debby, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Someone posted this to our neighourhood site. Knew this forum would be able to help. Here is the post:

If anyone knows anything about Japanese Maples, I could use some help. In the Spring, our tree was attacked by those little green worms. Much of the foliage was lost but not the tree. Leaves that did come out are all brownish and rather void of colour compared with the red normally seen. I thought that perhaps allowing the tree to rest until the fall would be good but I see that the normal deepening of the red in the leaves is not happening at all. Is there something I could do at this time ? Has the root system also been damaged by the spring problem ?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Debby,

Shouldn't be a serious long term problem. Earlier in the year your neighbor might have used a light liquid feed to encourage leafy growth. Too late for that now as the new twigs wouldn't have time to ripen properly before winter.

So, wait until next year, my guess is the tree will leaf out normally. Keep an eye out for pests, though.

-E

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Thank you, Emery. That's pretty much what I told her. I suggested supplemental watering if next summer is as dry as this summer has been here. And I suggested she hose off any little green worms. Oh, also suggested she rake debris from beneath the tree.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

if in the garden near the maple there is, for ex.one Buddleja davidii the green worms are "baby" butterfly;Buddleja or another plant like nettle attract butterfly ;please not damage the green worms!remove with care!