Dead Rose?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by doriskleckner, Jun 5, 2009.

1. doriskleckner

doriskleckner Member

I bought a rose bush about 3 months ago.It was doing great for a week and then it started to tuen brown. All the leaves and flowers fell off.I now have a green naked bush.All the stems are green with nothing on them.What can I do for it now.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

is it in a planter or in the ground?

if in a planter, what is the soil medium made up of?

if in the ground, what did you do to amend the spot it was planted in?

have you been watering it enough all along? is it a type that can withstand the extreme heat that you get in your area? is it in full sun or does it get some shade from the scorching afternoon sun?

3. doriskleckner

doriskleckner Member

We planted it in part shade.The hole was lined with potting soil and then rose put on top.We then mixed the dirt with the potting mix and filled to the top.We surounded the plant with a ring of soil to make a watering well.
    We watered well every other day.The rose was rated for our area.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it sounds like you created a 'bowl' in the original soil and that the roots ended up being waterlogged - thus killing the plant. it should be covered by 1-year warranty. hopefully, anyway, and you can get a replacement.

i can't explain it as well as ron can...hopefully he'll stop by and clarify it.

basically, when you need to amend soil to provide something better/more suited to a particular plant, you need to do the whole area or, at least a very large area; not just the immediate spot where you are planting something.

too much disparity between the two soil types creates a 'wall', so to speak, and the water can't get through it. so, you end up with no (or very slow) drainage and the water is held in place too long and that's always an issue for any plant unless they are a bog-type that thrives in being in constantly wet conditions. roses, in particular, like very good drainage...your basic soil is mostly sand, correct? that actually holds moisture pretty well and doesn't have very good drainage.

i would suggest trying to return the bush for replacement. and then amend a larger area than you did originally. amend to the sides of the location where you want the rose to be...only go as deep as the roots need to be planted...they will eventually grow through into the original substrate and will adjust to it, somewhat. as long as there is enough room for them to grow laterally, as well as enough amendment, laterally, to provide the drainage needed (and roses do need good drainage) the bush should do well.

there was a post about the very same situation - planting roses in las vegas - last year. if you do a search i'm sure you'll find it - there were some good suggestions on how to deal with the situation in the thread. even the posts about planting trees in your area (there was something about that fairly recently) would also have helpful info about amending the soil you have properly.

another option would be to plant the rose in a container - then you wouldn't have to deal with issues with having to amend the soil in your yard. containers require more watering, though, especially in your area as it's so much warmer, so, in the long run, a container would be more work.

5. Kale

Kale Member

What did you end up doing with your rose?
    Is it history?
    And did you see entry holes anywhere?
    And did you spray anything on the rose or add any chemical to the soil when planting?
    And did you step on the ground to compact the soil?
    And what was planted in that spot beforehand and what was planted next to it if anything?

Answers to these and several others I will ask ( if you reply) which will help not repeat.

Kale:)