dead leaves on my Hibiscus... but new growth too?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by PinkHibiscus, Nov 18, 2008.

1. PinkHibiscus

PinkHibiscus Member

My hibiscus is looking a little sick, many of the leaves are turning yellow and dying. The part that has me confused his how much new growth is all over it. Every single branch has tiny little leaves growing all over it. How is it possible for it to be dropping this many leaves, but to have so much new growth at the same time? Is this normal?
    Its almost as if it cant decide whether or not it wants to be sick, or really healthy! Haha

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for mites on affected leaves. Also review watering practices and other soil conditions. H. rosa-sinensis really a greenhouse plant rather than a house plant - usually needs a bright and warm, humid environment to do well. But I have seen an old one blooming in the middle of a public library, well away from windows and other plants (that might provide additional humidity).

Try searching internet for "hibiscus care" and similar phrases.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Did you just bring it indoors recently? They will often drop all or most of their leaves when moved to a new spot, but new leaves will fill in quickly.

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

You might want to check for pest like mites. If the plant has them, it will need to be sprayed with a mild soapy salution once a week or so a few times. If the plant was in brighter light before, that could also be the reason for the leaf drop, as well as over, or under watering.

5. PinkHibiscus

PinkHibiscus Member

A few weeks ago I noticed that it had bugs on it. I tried to ID them, but was still unsure of the type. They were all over the main branches, they were very small and there were some red ones, and some black ones. I sprayed the plant with an all natural spray and it worked well. The plant had been droopy before, it it perked up right away.

I brought it inside about 2 months ago and it has been dropping leaves ever since. Although, it has still been blooming the whole time.

It was in brighter light before. Now it gets about 4 hours of direct light a day as well as regular watering and fertilizer.

6. Ron B

Try keeping it inside all of the time, if possible.

7. PinkHibiscus

PinkHibiscus Member

Well its inside now for sure since its snowing out. But should I be keeping it inside even in the summer? It really does much better outside in the summer.

8. Ron B

Then move it back in while it is still warm outside.