Dead leaves on Arbutus or Eucalyptus Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by AdamPW, Feb 20, 2007.

1. AdamPW

AdamPW Member

I have a large (40') tree in my back yard. It could be either an arbutus or eucalyptus, I'm not sure. Over the last month or so most of the leaves have turned grey/brown, there are hardly any green leaves left - see photos attached. This is an evergreen, right, does not drop its leaves? Some of the leaves have spots on them. They are slowly starting to drop. the trunks look OK (there are 5 coming out of the ground together) however one has a 6" hole which is mushy and has a few grubs in it.

Is this tree dead or can it be saved? Would cutting it back help - it is very gangly and hangs precariously over power lines etc. I really want to keep it.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you click UBC Botanical Forums at top of page, you can then scroll down to Arbutus forum, likely helpful. they do lose some leaves.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Adam--your eucalyptus looks like most in the Vancouver area right now. I walked thru the UBC gardens recently and very few of the many species of eucalyptus managed to keep viable leaves thru our couple of cold snaps.

Good news is they do recover, with new leaves appearing come spring. Likely only the leaves will drop, with little or no damage to the branches.

Regarding your problems with power lines, etc. eucalyptus can be very vigorous, and need to be sited away from any problems like these. In this case, maybe we wish they would die down and resprout every so often instead of attaining the heights yours has. I don't know anything about pruning them...I'm sure others have info on that.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I don't have any, so they don't come to mind too much, but those are not uncommon down here.

But, yesterday I saw one while driving by, with leaves like yours.

My first thought was "going to look fine in a few months".