"day wilt"

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by embricker, Jun 18, 2008.

1. embricker

embricker Member

Hi,

Is there such a thing as what I am calling "day wilt"? I looked at my emerging Hibiscus while in a hurry to leave my house when the sun was high and the plant was very limp.
    When I returned and the sun had moved and the plant was in the shade, it had revived with no rain or watering. Please explain...thanks.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I have seen this before in a number of plants. I can't recall seeing it in Hibiscus, but I may not of been looking close enough.

Ed

3. embricker

embricker Member

Ed, Thanks for you reply. Have you ever seen this "day wilt" phenomenon with tomato plants?

Maureen

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Not tomatoes, no, but thats not to say it doesn't happen

Ed

5. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Maureen,

I live in southern Portugal, which has a mediterranean climate, which means very little rain from April-November. This daytime wilt and evening recovery has been a common phenomenon with my vegetables - for example beans, cucumbers, tomatoes,radish, peppers, lettuce. I have occasionally seen it in some of the softer leaved flowering plants. I think that it is largely restricted to plants that are grown "soft" with irrigation and fertilizer. I think that if my veg bed was not irrigated, the plants would either die or I would get small tough (not very productive) plants that would not show this. I have dramatically reduced the "problem" this year by watering more heavily but less frequently (once every 3 days). In fact this year I am only using 2/3 the amount of water I used last year on my veg. I think that this is toughening up the plants and forcing them to root deeper allowing them access to enough water even at midday (promised 30'C /86'F today).

I do think you should try and reduce/eliminate this if you can. I am sure that it stresses the plant, reduces productivity and makes them more prone to disease. I used to have a problem with mildew on my courgettes and cucumbers, but this year (fingers crossed) they are clear.

Boa sorte
    BrianO

6. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

Hi Maureen, I live in Los Angeles and it happens a lot.
    Every summer when there is a hot spell (in the 100 F) the plants "wilt" during the day to revive in the evening. Some plants do it more than others and they are usually the heirloom tomatoes.
    Tomato production is good in any case.