Dawn Redwood - Zone 5b dormancy

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by caudiciformken, Mar 3, 2011.

1. caudiciformken

caudiciformken Active Member

Hi there, just wondering if anyone would have experience on "Dawn Redwood", and general dormancy?
    I am wondering "when" they wake up in Zone 5b Canada.

It's my first Dawn Redwood, and am curious to see if it survived the winter.....
    It went into dormancy exactly like I thought it would, but can't find any information of "when they wake up"

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Ken

2. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I don't have much experience on dawn redwood, but I remember in the last spring, the buds started to swollen pretty early, at the same time with the deciduous', but it took more time for them to break into "leaves" than it did for the deciduous', as if something was not right I thought. So keep an eye on the buds and you will know soon.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

My guess would be the end of April or early May. But wait and see.

4. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Just to add I meant to compare to non-conifer deciduous plants

5. caudiciformken

Thanks for your replies! Will do. Spring is on the way in a few weeks/month, so not too long to wait to see if there is any action.
    Thanks again.

6. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

I am in zone 5b near you. I have several Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) in my garden that I planted more than 18 years ago. Depending on the year, they generally show their leaves some time in May. (Last year the spring was about 3 weeks earlier than usual, and they leafed at the end of April)
    They are very tough plants, and grow extremely fast on locations they like. I made the mistake of planting one of them too closer to my house than I should. Hope you don't make the same mistake.

7. caudiciformken

Thanks Garcan. Good to know someone else close by has planted them. I am pretty sure my Dawn Redwood has survived the winter. 100's of buds are noticeably swelling. None have burst yet, but I suspect soon, if the weather keeps like this. Would you happen to have a picture of your redwoods?

8. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

9. djlen

djlen Member

That would explain why the ones I just got from Wash. St. were barely breaking. They have really started to move here in New Jersey. I will be posting a thread on some do's and don'ts with Dawn Redwood soon. I have no experience with them at this point.

Regards,
    Len