Davidsans Japanese Maples is a GREAT nursery!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, May 2, 2012.

1. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I made the 3 1/2 hour drive out there today to pick up my 4 maples, which turned into 8 and man it was worth the drive! They are great people, great prices and most important, great trees. Gale was very helpful as well as the guys out in the nursery, JD I think and I didn't get the other guys name. They had more Japanese Maples than I've seen in my life. It made it very hard to choose but I really couldn't go wrong. They wraped everything up very nicely to protect it for the wind on the long ride home. Everything made it home in perfect shape.

Thanks Davidsans!

Now for the pics.

Orange Dream

Attached Files:

2. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Mikawa Yatsubusa

Attached Files:

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Aconitifolium

Attached Files:

4. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Ukigumo

Attached Files:

5. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Seiryu

Attached Files:

6. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Higasayama

The varigation is pretty light but it's a young plant and was if full shade when I found it. I'm hoping it will get a little stronger where I planted it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Last one, the "mystery" maple. I found it when I was looking for Ukigumo and that's what it was taged from the grower but Gale and I both decided we were pretty sure that's not what it is. I liked the form though so I wanted it anyway and it will be fun to see what it does. If you have any ideas let me know.

Attached Files:

8. Squeezied

Squeezied Active Member

Trees are looking great! I'm excited for you!

9. fortyonenorth

fortyonenorth Member

I'm about 4 hours away from Davidsans and thought I could resist the urge. But, after seeing your beautiful trees, I might have to succumb. I can usually dash to the local nursery, get home and get something new planted without the wife being any wiser. A day-trip might be a dead give-away, though. :)

10. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

LOL! That's so funny you mention the wife, I thought I was the only one to have to go on secret missions to avoid getting in trouble from the wife. She thought I was at work. I had to leave at 7am and try to be home and have everything planted by 5pm. It didn't happen because I took too long while I was there but lucky for me she stayed late at work so I was able to get them unloaded and descretly "placed" through out the property within minutes of being busted. She just doesn't understand lol. I can't believe she hasn't noticed the Orange Dream, that thing sticks out like crazy being so bright but she just doesn't pay attention to the landscape like I do I guess.

Plan wisely my friend, it's worth it!

11. Sam268

Sam268 Member

That is a very nice orange dream, it is on the top of my list.
    How tall is yours in the picture?

12. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Thanks. I'm not sure, maybe 7-8'.

13. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I always love to hear from someone who does the same thing I do. You need to invent some relatives. I can alway sneak a trip in on my way south to St. Louis when I visit my family. If I arrive late enough, I can "spirit" them out of the car into a hidden spot and once they're in the ground...it doesn't count:)

Tell you what, if you can go there, you'll never do mail order again. I have gotten all my bucket list trees there. In addition, there is nothing like being able to pick the one you want. THey are great people to work with and the prices are good.
    Kay

14. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Will you be planting the Orange Dream in the ground? I have had mine in a container since I got it (2006) and it has done really well. I am just thinking it seems so vigorous and is growing so fast that I may need to try it. Marengo is up farther north in Illinois, right? I am in Central, IL. How many are you growing in ground?
    Kay

15. fortyonenorth

fortyonenorth Member

That's my rule, too. "What? That one? Oh, that's been there for a couple of years..."

16. paxi

paxi Active Member

haaa haa. Count me in as another one who gets permission from the wife to do a yearly one day dash to Davidsans. Thanks for posting the pics. I have gone there for several years in a row and the selection has really gone through the roof. For those interested, I think they are doing a seasonal store here in st. louis. Check the website for details.

17. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Yeah, it's planted already. I plant all mine because mother nature does much better at keeping them alive than I do lol. I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago, zone 5. I have about 30 or so all doing well but my oldest one is only on it's 3rd year with me. I havn't lost one yet so I guess time will tell.

18. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Added pics of Higasayama.