daphne odora 'marginata'

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by grdnstff, Mar 30, 2005.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hi, all .. there is a daphne odora 'marginata' in one of the gardens i look after, that has been there at least seven years, full of leaves, and beautiful winter bloomer .. last fall it lost a lot of its leaves, and the stems started dying back after turning almost black .. i've been removing all sign of "dis-ease" in hopes of helping it .. the dieback seems to have slowed down, but still continues .. there are new leaf buds coming, and it did actually bloom this year, although the flowers were much less vibrant .. there are other daphnes in the yard, and i'm hoping this isn't something that might spread to them .. does anyone have any ideas what could be occurring here? .. thanks ..

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Daphne are notorious for petering out suddenly, in the manner you have described.

3. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

ohhh .. thanks, ron .. i had a feeling .. seems to me i've read, or heard that before .. so, will it affect the others in the yard? .. i suppose the sooner the better to move it out of there .. slightly sad, as it was one of the showpieces of a winter flowering shade garden .. well, to everything there is a season, "they" say ..