Daffodils

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Insectivore, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Insectivore

Insectivore Active Member

Hey guys, I have a question for anyone who might know. We need to move some Daffodils (also known to us in the south as buttercups), so we will need to store them over the winter out of the ground. Does anyone have tips for how or where to store them. Will they be ok just out in the open? Do they need to be in leaf litter or something to keep them from drying out or suffering from the cold too much? Thanks in advance for your responses, these bulbs are pretty important to us since they were my grandmother's.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You cannot do this unless you pot them up so they are in soil the whole time, the roots form in fall and are present until the following summer - summer is the dormant period for these. And the winter period must be cool, as in outdoors.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I am wondering why you want/have to store them out of the ground? Why not to plant them in the new location right now?

4. Insectivore

Because we do not have a place to plant them yet. My mother is selling my grandparent's house and then she will be moving soon. So, we cannot plant them or they will have to be dug up again during the a worse time..... Ok, so you guys think I can dig them up now just have to plant them in containers?

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Since you can't plant them now then you will have to follow Ron B advice.
    Keep in mind though, than it can be a little tricky, because outdoors in pots the bulbs may be exposed to much harder freezing than they would experience in the soil, what could kill them if they are not hardy enough.
    They are hardy enough to survive the winter in the soil, but may not be hardy enough to survive it outdoors in pots without special protection.

6. stone

stone Active Member

Daffodils are pretty hardy... I've seen them stored in galvanized tubs for months...

I don't see anything wrong with leaving them in an ice chest (cover bulbs with soil, keep in clumps), or something similar... kept in an unheated garage. You wouldn't want the container to fill up with rain water...

7. Insectivore

Thanks so much you guys. We are keeping them in the basement. It's not cold enough for them though i think. So that might change.