1. Louis Peterson

Louis Peterson Member

Do daffodils that have come up "blind" recover and flower in following years?
    Louis.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try applying fertilizer.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Or they may have become overcrowded. If this seems likely dig up the bulbs, separate them and replant.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Mulch....in fact...all 3.

Dig 'em up in a few weeks when the tops turn brown & crispy. Replant them spaced-out (the bulbs - not you) a couple of inches apart about the same depth you found them at. They need a location with full sun in the Spring; doesn't matter if the deciduous trees shade the site after their leaves come out. This fall add a nice layer of a couple of inches of mulch or compost. Next February when the bulbs poke their noses up, fertilize with a low-nitrogen fertilizer suitable for bulbs (if you want to be organic, substitute well-rotted manure)

Then, if you are like me, you can ignore them for a few years till they get hungry & crowded again.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I got best response from lawn fertilizer, this brought back a grouping that was being diminished by narcissus bulb fly. Typically on gardened soils in this region it is nitrogen that becomes deficient, with phosphorus and potassium often being adequate - away from heavily leached parts of the outer coast. In addition, many products sold and used are high in phosphorus and may produce a toxicity when used repeatedly.

A landscape architect I talked to yesterday related how diverse kinds of plants installed together on an imported soil used for a residential project all produced the same discolored growth afterward. A soil test showed that the phosphorus content of the soil used was off the chart.

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Thanks for reminding me once again, Ron. I use mainly manure & compost supplemented with manure these days & tend to forget about nitrogen leaching. The organic matter seems to hold nutrients better & in a decent balance to me.