cytisus battandieri

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Kbooth, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Kbooth

Kbooth Member

I have 3 of these plants and would like to propagate them. Any thought on the best way? Also are they easy to move or would that be asking for trouble?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have one that set seed this year. I expect to propagate from seed. I've never moved, nor have I heard of moving one. Has or did yours flower this year?
    Cavendish - Shrubs & Climbers, recommends Propagation ~ by pre-soaked seed in spring. I have a few extra seeds (if you're interested) if your's didn't set seed?

Cheers, LPN.

3. Kbooth

Kbooth Member

Thanks for that Mine did seed this year. I will try some of that. I actually have 3 and they all flower prolifically.

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

You can also take cuttings in the late summer/early fall ( august) and they root pretty well, it takes a few weeks-1 month.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

James D.
    Any recommendations regarding rooting hormone or stem diameter for these cuttings? Bottom heat?
    Cheers, LPN.

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

James--These have a notorious reputation as "impossible" to root...can you share some details like time of year, media, any special treatment?

In Europe the standard protocol seems to be grafting onto laburnum, all my research indicated cuttings would not work.

Probably the great majority of plants in the trade are seedlings, as that is much easier than grafting.

7. James D.

James D. Active Member

Like I said before usually in the late summer/early fall. I used a mist bed to propagate them, it is filed with vermiculite, had bottom heat cables and mists about every 15 mins. The succes rate isn't very high, maybe 1-2 out of every 10-15 cuttings. they are hard aand do take a long time to root, usuallly a month or more.

8. James D.

James D. Active Member

and i used number 2 rooting hormone