cypress going brown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by TimA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

I recently repotted a cypress tree and noticed today it's going brown from the top down. What could this mean?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds like it is probably dead, I fear. Can you post a photo?

3. TimA

TimA Active Member

No dogs or cats. Just pigeons. They do like to perch above. Could their droppings have affected the acidity of the soil? It's on a south-facing balcony but fairly secluded from the wind.

Attached Files:

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Dieback, but not dead. It has a good chance of recovery if given good conditions.

It looks like one of the semi-juvenile cultivars of Monterey Cypress Cupressus macrocarpa, perhaps 'Goldcrest'. These are not overly hardy, so I'd suspect it may well be frost damage you have there, given the cold winter that Vancouver has been reported on this forum as having.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Long-established seedling of typical green wild parent and smallish but established specimen of a golden form both discolored by this winter's cold on Camano Island. However, appearance of specimen shown makes me think it may be transplanting shock. Or maybe both. When you disturb roots at planting (bare-rooting and examination of roots at planting a good idea due to pandemic occurrence of rootbound nursery stock) you may have to provide special watering and protection for awhile afterward to compensate.

6. TimA

TimA Active Member

Thanks all. Would you elaborate, Ron B? Have to admit I didn't bareroot it when transplanting. Also, I had to carry it on my bike which must have been stressful, I suppose.

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wind burn ... but thenagain the bike was probably not going fast enough

Liz