cymbidium orchids

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by samsam, Sep 30, 2008.

1. samsam

samsam Member

My large pot of cymbidium orchids which bloomed all last winter inside, has been doing nicely since mid-spring in the back yard. When exactly should I bring it in? Should I then re-pot it? Feed it? All help appreciated.Thanks, SamSam

2. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Samsam,

I bring mine in when temps drop below 50 F. at night on a regular basis. They bloom well so the chill must not hurt too much. HTH. Bill

3. samsam

samsam Member

Thanks Bill - I expect it is about time to clean it up and bring it in. It has lovely new growth and I look forward to a winter of blooms. Cheers, May

4. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I kept (past tense, it got too big) my Cymbidium outside until first frosts here in Yellowknife. The tricky part was keeping it cool while the buds were developing. With the subarctic freeze outside and 20 degrees Celsius inside, my only location was right beside a south facing window (with a bit of a draft). In my new home I didn't have a drafty corner (or a square metre of space). Beautiful blooms and a nice patio plant though.

Shaun

5. samsam

samsam Member

Orchids in Yellowknife! I didn't expect that. Now I think I will leave mine in the garden for a while longer. Thanks Shaun.
    SamSam