Cymbidium orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by aproestakis, May 15, 2007.

1. aproestakis

aproestakis Member

I recently bought on about a month ago and when I bought it, it had many flowers on it. I have a few questions about it because I really don't want to kill it.
    1) How long does it flower for and how often? The flowers are now wilting and are falling off, is this normal?
    2) When should I re-pot it? I was told to wait until the flowering period ends.
    3) How should I re-pot it? Should I used bark and moss or just bark? Should I use a plastic pot with lots of vents or is a clay pot okay?
    4) I was told that a cymbidium requires about 10-12 of light. I currently have it in my bathroom which gets light now (May) from 6 am to about 7:30pm. Is the bathroom an ideal location?

Thanks for your help!

2. orchidboy

orchidboy Active Member

ok for the first one, depending how long they have being flowering before you got it, and how well you care for it, generally between 1 and 2 months. Number 2 , usaually after flowering like you said. Cut the flowers back to the stalk and repot. Number three, usually pine bark is the best for cyms, you should repot it every 1 to 2 years depending on how coarse the bark is. And 4, usually cyms stay in the house in winter, or during flowering, then they are placed outside. They need good sun, generaly 6 hours per day, but when it gets to hot, placed in shade. You know when the plant is getting to much sun as the leaves turn yellow and you know when the plant is getting to little light when the leaves are a dark green, so you want the leaves inbetween these.
    I hope this helps you.

3. aproestakis

aproestakis Member

Yes it does thanks. This is the first time I have an orchid and would like to keep it because it is such a beautiful plant. Are clay pots okay? I found one that has venting holes on the sides and thought this would be perfect because I was told that these plants need very good ventilation.

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Instead of a clay pot or a plastic pot how about a CD storage case.
    Do you have anything like WalMart in your area. These are available at WalMart for only 99 cents American. I estimate it will last a couple of years.
    Check it out.

5. aproestakis

aproestakis Member

Yes we have Walmart. When you say CD storage, I am thinking of a CD tower although this orchid base is quite large, not sure if it will fit......